President Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo and the Judicial Service of Ghana are going to put a journalist and lawyer who works for one of Accra’s best radio and TV stations on the bench as a judge.
The said journalist is a well-known voice on the radio, and he was called to the Bar while working as a writer for a radio and TV station in Accra, Ghana, after taking a break.
Sources say that the journalist will be put on the High Court Bench. This means that the journalist has been a lawyer for at least 10 years.
“A person shall not be eligible for appointment as a Justice of the High Court unless he is of high moral character, has a history of being honest, and has been a lawyer for at least ten years,” says the law.
In February of this year, President Akufo-Addo named 21 people to the High Court. Twelve of them were men, and nine of them were women.
They took the Oath of Allegiance, the Judicial Oath, and the Oath of Secrecy at Accra’s Jubilee House.
During the event, the President told the judges to do their jobs well and be honest and fair.
He also said it was wrong “when judges made decisions based on decisions from lower courts and cited them as law, and it was even worse when judges didn’t cite any authority for their decisions and just gave orders.”
List of the High Court Justices who have just been sworn in
- His Lordship Justice Kwame Polley
- His Lordship William Appiah Twumasi
- His Lordship Baah Forson Agyapong
- Her Ladyship Marian Affoh
- His Lordship Nana Brew
- Her Ladyship Abena Amponsah Buansi
- Her Ladyship Ellen Lordina Serwaa Mireku
- Her Ladyship Priscilla Dapaah Mireku
- His Lordship Alexander Oworae
- Her Ladyship Joyce Boahen
- His Lordship Edward Twum
- Her Ladyship Gwendolyn Millicent Owusu
- Her Ladyship Rosemary Baah Tosu
- His Lordship Frederick Kwabena Twumasi
- Her Ladyship Adelaide Abui Keddey
- His Lordship Karry Acheampong Opoku
- His Lordship Kenneth Edem Kudjordjie
- His Lordship John Mark Nuku Alifo
- His Lordship Kwesi Adjenim Boateng
- His Lordship George Aikins Ampiah Bonney
- Her Ladyship Marie Louise Simmons